HEARTS RIPE FOR HARVEST: A LAND OF OPPORTUNITY AND PERSECUTION
God Opens the Doors and We Follow
God has opened many doors for us to minister to Azerbaijani-speaking people, both inside and outside Azerbaijan. This language reaches across Central Asia speaking to hearts we never dreamed would be reached by a Christian women’s talk show, like Sweet Conversations.
- Government employees see the program and find our talent on Facebook to discuss the God of the Bible.
- An Armenian man reaches out via email to share his love for Christ and his enjoyment of this women’s talk show, when Armenians have traditionally been hostile to Azerbaijanis and men were never the target audience.
- The Azerbaijani Minster of Culture gives us access to top Azerbaijani talent as a cross cultural effort.
- An Iranian TV host tells us floods of calls coming into her Christian program, ever since it has been aired right after Sweet Conversations, and most of her callers have a “sweet Azerbaijani accent”.
These are just a few of the inspiring stories we have heard in recent days after three seasons of Sweet Conversations have been broadcast in our target nations.
Satan Fights Back and We Pray
While we rejoice at these and other stories of Azerbaijanis who watch Sweet Conversations, we know Satan is battling us for each heart, because we also hear stories like these:
- An entire church is persecuted because a woman visited and then claimed to authorities the members of the church gave her something to drink which caused her to murder her child.
- A new Believer’s wife leaves him and moves in with her mother so the mother-daughter pair and their friends can plague the husband with witches’ spells.
- A bookstore owner who carries Christian literature is invaded by a group of government-sanctioned bullies, who harass her and impound much of her inventory with no recourse.
- An Azerbaijan woman in Siberia is a secret Believer, but when her husband discovers her secret, her marriage, her life, and her relationship with her son is endangered.
While these stories are from specific situations in recent days, these kinds of scenes are repeated often throughout all of the Azerbaijani-speaking world, causing Believers to live in constant fear. So, even where there is not active persecution occurring, the fear of it creates a great burden for their hearts.
Pray for Azerbaijan and Azerbaijani-Speakers
We ask you to join us in our prayers for Azerbaijanis in their homeland and wherever they are throughout Central Asia and the Middle East. In this ancient part of the world, political boundaries pale in comparison with the uniting power of a heart language. Iran and Turkey may be separate countries, but Azerbaijani-speakers in these countries are hungry to hear their heart language spoken by natives. There there are actually more Azerbaijani-Speakers in Iran than there are in Azerbaijan.
There is also a hunger for hope across this part of the world and while people groups tend to favor fellow speakers of their heart language, Azerbaijani was once the lingua franca across the Persian nations. Turkish speakers and other people groups can often understand the language without any interpretation or translation. When a seeker is looking for information about the God of the Bible and his Son, Sweet Conversations is often the vehicle God uses to touch broken hearts. Pray that our program will be the vehicle for many hearts.
Help Reap the Harvest
You can partner with Global Heart Ministries to fulfill The Great Commission in this generation. Together we can bring the light and the truth of Jesus Christ right into the living rooms of every deceived child, every oppressed woman, and every hurting home. This is our message. This is our call.
We invite you to join this vision as a volunteer, a prayer warrior, or a financial donor. Contact us today by phone or email. Let us know how you’d like to partner with us as we reach out to the Most Unreached Regions of the World.